Friday, March 17, 2006

Holy Crap.

So, as you may or may not know, I am a Registered Minister with the Universal Life Church. I have been for some time.

Other than trying my best to uphold the very basic tenets, as I understand them, (Try Peacefully to do What is Right and Religious Freedom for All) it was just one of those things. I printed out the Certificate they sent me when I was Ordained, (An unimposing and humble looking document) filed it away and otherwise continued my Spiritual Journey to the Best of My Ability, as I'd been doing otherwise.

I didn't send them any Money, not for the fancy Official certificate, or the handbook, or anything. I knew they were available, and I figured I'd pick them up eventually, but they weren't strictly necessary, I was told, and I was Officially Ordained regardless.

This was all so long ago, I actually forgot when I had done it.

So, this year, two different people have asked me to Preside over Ceremonies for them, one of which needs to be very Official and Legal. I had, ever since taking this step, wished to be available to my Friends and Loved Ones for this sort of thing should they need or want me to, but, well, it had never come up until now.

Initially, I couldn't find that scrap of paper I had printed out all those years ago. I couldn't even, when the website asked, "If you don't know the date of your Ordination, give us an approximate and we'll look it up," I didn't even know that. I didn't even remember the year. It never occured to me to call the Church.

So, at first, I went ahead and re-registered. I guess this would have been fine, but I ended up with a Document that said I was Ordained on the 6th of March, this year. It did further say not to worry about double registration, as the Church would eliminate any such duplicates. Fine, but I still had a print out with the wrong date, and though legal, it just didn't seem right. Even if I were to order one, I still didn't know the year for an approximation.

I dug a little deeper and actually found the original document. It was really not much to look at, in fact it was downright questionable. I could Photoshop a fancier looking document in all of two minutes. Hell, I could do better in Word.

But there was a phone number. The same phone number was on my new certificate, and on the website. So, I called The Mother Church in Modesto this afternoon. The very helpful Lady who answered asked my name, and had my Date of Ordination right there in her Database. (Sunday, August 27, 2000, By the way.) She further assured me I had the Legal and Holy Right to perform these Ceremonies and anyone who doubted so could call that number and they would promptly verify it.

Now, I had conciously assumed all this time that I was "Good to Go," as it were, but frankly, being officially told so, along with instructions on how to back it up, and who would vouch for me, well, was humbling and a distinct Honor all at once.

I can, as I sit now and as I have been for the last 5 1/2 years or so, Legally Marry People in most of the Country, and with a little more paperwork, easily obtained, do so it the remaining couple of States, except, I guess New York, which requires a couple of more Hoops. (Though, I guess those are doable.) And, of course, if I Marry you in any State that Legally Recognizes the Ceremony, you are Married, Legally, in the entire United States. (And most, if not all, the World.)

Again, this is at once humbling and a distinct Honor.

This is all Very Cool, and I feel Very Good about it.

Bless You All.

Later,
-Noxious

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know wether to be impressed or mortified that you have the vested power to put people into wedded hell.