Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Shelfzilla

Alright, I missed Monday. Fuck it. You didn't want to read about my stupid watch anyway, did you? Well, it's cool as fuck; that's all.

In any case, here's what I did Monday, the best part of Monday, anyway:

One of the Coolest Record Stores in L.A., in fact, probably The Coolest, until Aomeba came along, is closing it's doors April 9th.

This sucks. However, I have a piece of its History, and I'm going to have it for some time, I would warrent. The shelf pictured to the right was a display unit from Aron's Records. I bought it a few months ago, and just picked it up yesterday. It can hold 1000 CDs, at capacity, and the shelves adjust (Obviously, if you look at the picture.) to hold an ass-load of DVDs as well.

I took this picture shortly after setting it up last night. None of the CDs or DVDs are in any kind of order there, and I still have a handful of both floating around, but that's most of 'em. I did, actually, alphabatize all the CDs shortly after taking that picture (Like you wouldn't.) the DVDs will wait. (Where's that other Stooge's CD? I know I had it. Did I leave the fucker in the car...)

Still, Aron's closing is a bitch, though I'm proud to have some of its history in my living room. In talking to the staff, most of them seemed not to place the blame on Aomeba opening, (Though, that place is huge, and I'm sure it contributed) but they felt the Best Buy and Target that opened right down the street is what really did them in. I guess, as much traffic as they did in Vinyl and Used stuff, the real money was in the new retail items, and, in that, they just can't keep up with the Chain Stores.

And so, I bid a Fond Farewell to Aron's Records, here in its Final Days, and I will Proudly display my Collections in Memory of its Noble History, on a Memory of its Noble History.

1 comment:

Berko Wills said...

I'm pleased that someone else alphabetises their collections. I thought everyone did it and then noticed, on noseying through others' while visiting, that I appeared to be in the minority. I began to wonder if it was just a records manager trait.