Monday, March 06, 2006

High Tech, Low Tech, No Tech

Man Loves Tools. Kids Love Toys. I Like Shiny Things with Bells and Whistles.

But as much as I dig an efficient piece of operational electronics, I appreciate a well made, simple instrument that has served my ancestors admirably for time out of mind. Hell, I think I like that stuff more.

Have you ever wondered at the simple beauty of a Crowbar?

So where's the border? When should it be Vintage and when should it be Space Age? Cutting Edge or Retro? Cyber Punk or Gutter Snipe?

I'm here to make a case for the balance.

Over the past few weeks I've made a few purchaces. Tools. Accoutrements. Guy stuff, actually. The choices I've been presented with have brought this subject into sharp focus.

I'm going to start with my new Razor.

Gillette, as I'm sure you've heard, unless you don't own a TV set, has just released a new cartridge razor with, I dunno, fifteen blades or something ridiculous. I did not buy one of these.

Here's the thing: our Grandfathers did not use Triple-Bladed "Shaving Systems," and they were better groomed than most men today. They also had far less trouble with razor burn and shaving bumps. Ever wonder why?

Cary Grant didn't have a Mach III.

Now, I'm not advocating scraping a sharpened sea shell across your cheek before work, but I have gone decidedly Retro in this department. No, I'm not using a Straight-Razor either, I'm going back to a Double Edged Safty Razor.

I'm also using a Shaving Brush and Shaving Soap. There is a learning curve. These are not Safety Sissors from your Kindergarten Class. But the irritation on my neck is starting to disappear, and my shave is almost as smooth as glass.

I've actually chronicled my initial progress here on this thread at "ShaveMyFace.com.

When "Modern" results in a cheap, plastic object that, while not requiring much skill, doesn't really do it's job any better, or not well at all, it's time to go Retro.

Tomorrow Next Week: Geek meets Punk Rock with my new Atomic Watch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very classy, Rob. I switched to the hard soap a couple years ago and never looked back. Now I'm just psyching myself up (and saving my pennies) for the complete conversion to the straight razor. Maybe its the nostalgic history dork in me, but I think a classic shave is tops. Enjoy and Good Luck!